Healing from Within: Navigating the Complexities of Survivor’s Guilt
You are grateful to be alive.
And sometimes, you feel guilty because you are.
Survivor’s guilt is something I have struggled with throughout my cancer journey. It can appear unexpectedly—a story about someone dying, another patient receiving bad news, a familiar name disappearing from the cancer community.
Suddenly, the question creeps in:
Why am I still here when they aren't?
When I was first diagnosed with multiple myeloma, my future felt frighteningly uncertain. I had to make decisions about treatments and a stem cell transplant while trying to comprehend what it meant to have an incurable cancer.
At the time, I wasn't thinking about surviving for years and years.
I was thinking about surviving.
I wanted more time.
More time with my husband.
More time with my children.
More time with my granddaughters.
More ordinary days that I hadn't realized were extraordinary until cancer threatened to take them away.
Then something unexpected happened.
Time passed.
And I was still here.
The Complicated Gift of More Time
Surviving something that you once feared would kill you should feel like nothing but a gift.
Sometimes it does.
Other times, that gift feels surprisingly heavy.
You watch people you met along the way relapse. You hear about someone whose treatment stopped working. Someone enters hospice. Someone's family announces that they have died.
And while you're heartbroken for them, another feeling sometimes slips quietly into the grief.
Guilt.
Why did my treatment work when theirs didn't?
Why did I get more time?
Why am I celebrating another milestone when someone else's family is grieving?
There is no logical reason I should feel guilty about surviving.
But emotions aren't always logical.
Gratitude and Grief Can Exist Together
Survivor's guilt can occur after someone lives through a traumatic or life-threatening experience, particularly when others experiencing something similar did not survive.
For cancer patients and survivors, it may show up as sadness, guilt, anxiety, questioning, or even feeling undeserving of your own good fortune.
You may find yourself comparing cancer journeys:
Their cancer wasn't supposed to be as aggressive as mine.
They were younger than me.
They did everything right.
Why them and not me?
Cancer doesn't provide satisfying answers to those questions.
And perhaps one of the hardest things to accept is that there may never be an answer.
You can be incredibly thankful for your life while simultaneously grieving someone else's death.
One feeling doesn't cancel out the other.
Gratitude and grief can occupy the same heart.
Cancer Changes How You Look at Time
Before cancer, birthdays were birthdays.
Anniversaries were anniversaries.
Years simply passed.
After cancer, time can feel different.
A birthday becomes another year you weren't certain you would see.
A treatment anniversary becomes a reminder of everything your body endured.
A clean scan or encouraging lab result brings relief—but sometimes also the uncomfortable awareness that someone else didn't receive the same news.
Even happiness can become complicated.
You may catch yourself feeling guilty for celebrating.
But surviving doesn't dishonor the people who didn't.
Your joy doesn't take anything away from them.
Your life isn't something you stole from someone else.
Let Yourself Feel What You Feel
There isn't a correct way to experience survivor's guilt.
You don't have to immediately turn sadness into gratitude.
You don't have to tell yourself that someone else "would want you to be happy."
And you certainly don't have to pretend someone's death doesn't affect you because you're supposed to be celebrating your own survival.
Sometimes you need to grieve.
Let yourself.
Write about it.
Cry.
Talk to someone.
Sit quietly.
Say their name.
Remember them.
Emotions often become heavier when we spend all our energy trying not to feel them.
Stop Comparing Cancer Journeys
This may be one of the hardest lessons.
Cancer isn't fair.
Two people can have the same diagnosis and experience completely different outcomes.
One person responds beautifully to the first treatment. Another goes through several therapies before finding one that works.
Someone lives decades with their disease.
Someone else doesn't.
Those differences aren't a reflection of who fought harder, stayed more positive, ate better, exercised more, prayed more, or somehow deserved survival more.
Cancer biology is complicated.
Survival isn't a competition.
You don't have to apologize because your story turned out differently.
Turning Guilt Into Purpose
For some people, helping others becomes a meaningful way to process survivor's guilt.
That might mean volunteering.
Supporting another patient.
Participating in research.
Sharing reliable information.
Fundraising.
Advocating.
Or simply answering the phone when someone newly diagnosed needs to hear from a person who understands.
You don't have to change the world.
Sometimes helping one frightened person feel less alone is enough.
But there's something important to remember here, too:
You don't owe the world something extraordinary because you survived.
You are allowed to simply live.
Purpose can be healing, but it shouldn't become another burden.
Take Care of the Person Who Survived
Cancer teaches us to focus so intensely on keeping the body alive that we sometimes forget about the emotional health of the person living inside that body.
Self-care can be surprisingly simple.
Take the walk.
Read the book.
Sit outside.
Listen to music.
Spend time with people who make you laugh.
Play with your grandchildren.
Rest without apologizing.
Do something completely unrelated to cancer.
You don't have to spend every moment appreciating life simply because cancer once threatened it.
You're allowed to have ordinary days.
You're allowed to complain about traffic.
You're allowed to be annoyed.
You're allowed to waste an afternoon watching television.
You're allowed to live instead of constantly reminding yourself how fortunate you are to be alive.
Find People Who Understand
Cancer can be lonely even when you're surrounded by people who love you.
Sometimes another survivor understands something that family and friends simply can't.
Support groups—whether in person or online—can provide a place to say things you might hesitate to say elsewhere.
Things like:
"I'm happy I'm doing well, but I feel terrible saying that when someone else isn't."
And someone else can say:
"I understand."
Sometimes those two words are incredibly powerful.
When You Need More Support
Survivor's guilt may come and go without significantly interfering with everyday life.
But sometimes guilt, anxiety, grief, or depression becomes overwhelming.
If these feelings are affecting your sleep, relationships, ability to function, or enjoyment of life, consider talking with a mental health professional. Oncology social workers, counselors, psychologists, and other professionals familiar with cancer survivorship can help you work through emotions that may be difficult to carry alone.
Seeking help doesn't mean you're failing at survivorship.
Cancer affects more than the body.
Emotional recovery deserves care, too.
Maybe Healing Doesn't Mean the Guilt Disappears
I'm not sure survivor's guilt is something you simply conquer.
Maybe healing looks different.
Maybe it's remembering someone without questioning why you're still here.
Maybe it's celebrating another birthday without feeling that you need to apologize for reaching it.
Maybe it's allowing yourself to enjoy your family without wondering how much time remains.
Maybe it's accepting that another person's story can break your heart while still being grateful for your own.
And maybe it's realizing that survival doesn't require an explanation.
I didn't choose who survived.
I didn't choose whose treatment worked.
I didn't choose how much time anyone received.
What I can choose is what I do with the time I've been given.
So I will love my family.
I will make memories.
I will laugh when something is funny.
I will cry when someone is lost.
I will help when I can.
I will rest when I need to.
And I will keep living.
Not because I survived when someone else didn't.
But because I'm still here.
And perhaps the greatest way I can honor those who aren't is not by feeling guilty for the life I still have—
but by allowing myself to live it.
If survivor's guilt, anxiety, depression, or grief becomes overwhelming or begins interfering with everyday life, consider speaking with your healthcare team or a qualified mental health professional. Emotional health is an important part of cancer survivorship.

Comments
Post a Comment